Linda M James

Wednesday 3 July 2013

THE MIDNIGHT SUN


I've just returned from the Arctic Circle and seen the midnight sun. An amazing feast for the eyes but how the Norwegian people cope with sleeping when the sun disappears for only a short time in the summer is beyond me. I found that the only way I could sleep was by blacking out the windows with rubbish bags and Gaffer tape. [I had gone prepared!]


And then all that darkness in the winter! I asked one Norwegian woman what they did in the winter. ‘Oh, there’s plenty to do,’ she answered. ‘ Knitting… making rhubarb jam… painting the house…' I realized in that moment why so many Norwegians were depressed. Imagine living there if you hated knitting, making jam or painting?  



So, in spite of our bad summer this year, I was glad when we finally reached home.

No comments:

Post a Comment