Linda M James

Saturday 23 March 2013

THE NIGHT BEFORE THE SNOW




When I woke up this morning the world had turned white. A flurry of snow swirled past my window and dusted the leaves on the trees. Just like a Christmas card I thought, but it is nearly April and here in the UK, we are still caught in winter.
Tonight I am singing in a competition in Canterbury and I’m wondering if I can drive my car to the venue.  Our choir practiced for hours last night; the night before the snow and it was joyous. One of the songs we are singing comes from Tanzania. We are singing it in Swahili and the words are beautiful in both the following languages.  

Malaika
Angel
Malaika, nakupenda Malaika.
Angel, I love you Angel.
Malaika, nakupenda Malaika.
 Angel, I love you Angel.
Nami nifanyeje, kijana mwenzio?
And I, your young lover, what can I do?
Nashindwa na mali sina, we,
Was I not defeated by the lack of fortune.
Ningekuoa Malaika.
I would marry you Angel.
Nashindwa na mali sina we,
Was I not defeated by the lack of fortune,
Malaika , Ningekuoa Malaika.
I would marry you Angel.

No comments:

Post a Comment